Cloud Computing Analytics - Class Schedule
Term: Spring 2013-2014
Tentative Class Schedule with reading materials:
Class materials will be linked soon.
1. Cloud Computing Foundation
1.1 Introduction to Cloud Computing, week 1
- Introduction to Cloud Computing, Cloud Computing Principles and Paradigms Chapter 1
- The NIST Definition of Cloud Computing, Peter Mell and Timothy Grance, 2011
- Market-Oriented Cloud Computing: Vision, Hype, and Reality for Delivering IT Services as Computing Utilities, Rajkumar Buyya et al., CCGrid 2009
1.2 Hybrid and Federated Cloud, week 2
- Aneka: Integration of Private and Public Clouds, Cloud Computing Principles and Paradigms Chapter 9
- Hybrid Clouds: Comparing Cloud Toolkits, Philipp C. Heckel, 2010
1.3 Virtualization, week 2, 3
- Xen and the Art of Virtualization, Paul Barham et al., SOSP 2003.
- Live Migration of Virtual Machines, Christopher Clark et al., NSDI 2005.
- CloudNet: Dynamic Pooling of Cloud Resources by Live WAN Migration of Virtual Machines, Timothy Wood et al., VEE 2011.
- Comparison of the Three CPU Schedulers in Xen, Ludmila Cherkasova et al., 2007.
- KVM for Server Virtualization: An Open Source Solution Comes of Age, Gary Chen and Al Gillen, 2011.
- Virtualization Overview, VMware White paper.
- Hyper-V vs. vSphere: Understanding the differences, Scott Lowe, 2012.
2. Overview of Class Projects, week 4
Class project descriptions.
3. Infrastructure as a Service
3.1 Resource Provisioning, week 5
- Improving Performance and Availability of Services Hosted on IaaS Clouds with Structural Constraint-aware Virtual Machine Placement, Deepal Jayasinghe et al., SCC 2011
- Automated Control of Multiple Virtualized Resources, Pradeep Padala et al., EuroSys 2009
3.2 Cloud Application Deployment, week 6
- A User Experience-based Cloud Service Redeployment Mechanism, Yu Kang et al., Cloud 2011
- Semantically-Rich Composition of Virtual Images, Fabio Oliveira et al., Cloud 2012
- Minimizing Latency in Serving Requests through Differential Template Caching in a Cloud, Deepak Jeswani et al., Cloud 2012
3.3 Energy Efficiency, week 7
- Exploiting Spatio-Temporal Tradeoffs for Energy-aware MapReduce in the Cloud, Michael Cardosa et al., Cloud 2011
3.4 Performance and Cost Tradeoff, week 8
- Mistral: Dynamically Managing Power, Performance, and Adaptation Cost in Cloud Infrastructures, Gueyoung Jung et al., ICDCS 2010
4. Project proposal presentations, week 7, 8
5. Platform as a Service and Software as a Service
5.1 Service Workflow and Scientific Applications in Clouds, week 9
- Multi-Objective Scheduling of BPEL Workflows in Geographically Distributed Clouds, Ernst Juhnke et al., Cloud 2011
- Multi-Objective Planning for Workflow Execution on Grids, Jia Yu et al., GRID 2007
- Towards Network-aware Service Composition in the Cloud, Adrian Klein et al., WWW 2012
5.2 Big Data in Cloud, week 10, 11, 12
- MapReduce: Simplified Data Processing on Large Clusters, Jeffrey Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat, OSDI 2004
- Synchronous Parallel Processing of Big-Data Analytics Services to Optimize Performance in Federated Clouds, Gueyoung Jung et al., Cloud 2012
- Towards Optimal Resource Provisioning for Running MapReduce Programs in Public Clouds, Fengguang Tian and Keke Chen, Cloud 2011
- Efficient Deployment of Main-memory DBMS in Virtualized Data Centers, Michael Seibold et al., Cloud 2012
- The HiBench Benchmark Suite: Characterization of the MapReduce-Based Data Analysis, Shengsheng Huang et al., ICDEW 2010
- MRBS: A Comprehensive MapReduce Benchmarking Suite, Amit Sangroya et al., SRDS 2012
5.3 SLA Management in Cloud, week 12
- ActiveSLA: A Profit-Oriented Admission Control Framework for Database-as-a-Service Providers, Pengcheng Xiong et al., SOCC 2011
5.4 Performance Monitoring and Prediction, week 13
- Risk-Aware Limited Lookahead Control for Dynamic Resource Provisioning in Enterprise Computing Systems, Dara Kusic and Nagarajan Kandasamy, ICAC 2006
- Reliable State Monitoring in Cloud Datacenters, Shicong Meng et al., Cloud 2012
5.5 Cloud bursting, week 13
- Optimizing Service Level Agreements for Autonomic Cloud Bursting Schedulers, Sriram Kailasam et al., 2011
5.6 CometCloud (Guest Lecture), week 14
- CometCloud: An Autonomic Cloud Engine, Cloud Computing Principles and Paradigms Chapter 10
6. Migrating into Cloud, week 14
- Migrating into a Cloud, Cloud Computing Principles and Paradigms Chapter 2
- MADMAC: Multiple Attribute Decision Methodology for Adoption of Clouds, Prasad Saripalli and Gopal Pingali, Cloud 2011
- Decision Support Tools for Cloud Migration in the Enterprise, Ali Khajeh-Hosseini et al., Cloud 2011
- Legacy Application Migration to Cloud, Xin Meng et al., Cloud 2011
- Migrating Service-Oriented System to Cloud Computing: An Experience Report, Muhammad Aufeef Chauhan and Muhammad Ali Babar, Cloud 2011
7. Final presentations, week 15, 16