Henry Kautz is a professor in the Department of Computer Science. Leadership positions he has held include:
- Director, Institute for Data Science, University of Rochester (2014-Present)
- Chair, Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester (2007-2014)
- Director, Intelligent Systems, Kodak Research (2006-2007)
- Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of Washington (2000-2006)
- Technology Leader, AT&T Laboratories (1997-2000)
- Department Head, AT&T Bell Labs (1994-1997)
He served as president of the Association for Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (2010-2012). He is a fellow of the AAAS, a fellow of the ACM, and a Fellow of the AAAI. His research in artificial intelligence and pervasive computing has over 20,000 citations, for an h-index of 65 and i10-index of 124.
Henry Kautz's research projects include data mining social media in order to track disease and improve public health; grounded language learning by align text and video; and knowledge representation and reasoning systems that combine logic and probability. He was the Robin & Tim Wentworth Director of the Goergen Institute for Data Science, and is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advance of Science (AAAS).
- Artificial intelligence
- Pervasive computing
- Data science