Difference: ChinaEarthquake (2 vs. 3)

Revision 32008-05-17 - ChenDing

Line: 1 to 1
Eye witness accounts from Yingxu town (映秀镇), May 16, 3 days after the May 12 earthquake, by www.cyol.net reporter Lin Tianhong. http://zqb.cyol.com/content/2008-05/17/content_2185786.htm

May 16 morning around 6am at the first daylight, rescue crews, although exhausted, began preparing the day's work. A army division just arrived after marching by foot through the night. They were erecting communication poles in an open field.

Currently the rescue crew numbered thousands. From 9am, a helicopter arrived every 10 minutes, dropping off drinking water and food and carrying away wounded people.

From yesterday, the town's remaining residents started leaving the area through the port opened by rescue teams. Many refused to leave the land they lived for decades. The earthquake destroyed all their belongings and they had nowhere to go.

At the front of a street rested ten or so bodies in plastic bags. A 30-year old man, ready to leave, was pouring liquor on the ground. His brother was among the dead. "Please don't take photos." The man said with tears in his eyes. "I want to forget what happened in the past few days forever."

The town has disappeared from the world. It was surrounded by mountains but now the slopes had almost no visible vegetation. Collapsed rocks and mud slides left the slopes yellow and buried houses at the foot of the mountain. Occasionally one could see some window frames.

A rescue team used a bulldozer and cleared a street. On the side a minivan looked like letter V because of a fallen telephone pole. An Audi car became a metal sheet under a wall.

Most buildings collapsed completely. The best remained one was the 6-story main classroom building at Xuanko middle school. Half of the building collapsed and the other half was tilted. From the window one could see handwritings on chalkboards.

The town's 4-story hotel was completely leveled. From the narrow opening one saw a dark-red mattress and a foot wearing a black sock.

The largest bank in town, the Farmer's Bank was also leveled, burying more than 30 people. There were no sign of life inside. Behind the collapse, rescue crew carried out a pair of bodies belonging to a mother and her daughter. They jumped down from a 2nd floor window hand in hand but a fallen concrete pile terminated their escape.

A stopped clock showed the time of the disaster: 2:45pm.

The town was the largest in the region with over 5000 residents. Near 3000 were beneath the ruins.

Many soldiers, firefighters, medical workers, carrying hundreds pounds of material and braving the continuing earth shakes and land slides, were walking to this town by foot from all sides.

The survivors has erected simple tents outside the town. They tried to rescue people who were lightly buried but could not help others without adequate tools.

Anxious people stayed next to the rescue teams. Injured residents gathered from all parts of the town. The rescue team had difficulty meeting the need.

The town's elementary school had 473 pupils. Except for two classes about 100 students taking physical exercise classes at the time of the quake, the rest 300 students were buried. May 14 morning, the rescue crew detected two signs of life using special life detection equipment. But the two children died from severe wounds shortly after being taken out from the wreckage.

30 to 40 little bodies lay on the sports field. Parents were crying by their side.

For two days, only tens of victims were saved. One survivor said that up the stream for about 8km, there was a middle school with 400 students. After the quake, the parents formed a rescue team. On their way however, two were killed by fallen stones, and the rest had to pull back.

Already 72 hours past the first earthquake. The air detected the smell of disintegrated bodies.

Food and water were still inadequate. Even many rescue teams had not enough, because in the rush to save the town, they abandoned much of their supply. Some soldiers dug a small amount of potatoes and cabbage from an abandoned farm land. Most of them had only two sausages for the entire day.

At night, the town was deadly silent and completely dark except for the light of flashlights. The river flew from tens of meters away. Huge stones continued to fall into the river, making a low pitched sound.

 News items from Hanwang town, 30km from the earthquake center. http://news.xinhuanet.com/newscenter/2008-05/16/content_8182015.htm, translated by ChenDing, May 16 2008.
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2020 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding URCS? Send feedback