What is Computer Science?
Computer science is the development of hardware and software, the application of computer technology, and the study of computation theory.
Computer science plays a pervasive and pivotal role in our lives today. Research by the URCS faculty has impact on both the infrastructure and the applications of computing, ranging across system efficiency and security, computational social choice and algorithmic game theory, mining and predicting social and health outcomes, and natural language and video understanding. The research is often interdisciplinary, leading to collaborations across several departments and centers within the university, including but not limited to:
- Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Department of Linguistics
- Center for Language Sciences
- Center for Visual Science
- Goergen Institute for Data Science
To learn more about the research being done by the Department of Computer Science visit our research page.