Faculty/Academic Advisor

Faculty Advisors are full-time Computer Science faculty members whose primary appointment is within the CS Department. They are your go-to for questions about research within the Department, course content, graduate school in CS, etc. All CS students must meet with their faculty advisor during the Advising Period and to have their add/drop forms signed.

Program Coordinator - Sarah Mills

The Undergraduate Program Coordinator can help you to officially declare the CS major/minor, obtain course approvals (transfer credit/study abroad), get add/drop forms approved, create course plans, register for Independent Study, etc.

*OPT Forms should be sent to CCAS for signature.

College Advisor

An advisor who helps with more general college policy: matching majors/minors/clusters to your interests, recommendations for student resources, help with navigating academic challenges, etc.

You may find your advisor assignments in UR Student under "View Academic Support Network"

Peer Advisor

Peer advisors help students declare majors and make connections with faculty, review research opportunities, and explore study abroad and options for independent and interdisciplinary study.

Peer advisors are available by live chat using the online support feature in the lower right of your screen, and by email for individual appointments: Contact a Peer Advisor 

AP/IB/A-Level Credit Policy


Exam scores accepted for CSC 171 credit


Credit for CSC 171

AP Computer Science A Exam
Score of 4 or 5


AP Computer Science Principles Score of 4 or 5


IB Computer Science higher level Score of 5+

A-Level Computer Science
Grade of: A 

For the complete list of University AP equivalencies: 

For the complete list of University IB equivalencies: 

University A-Level policy:

Top ↑

Changing or Updating your Major

If you are undeclared, please use the Hajim Intended Major Change Form to switch into/out of Computer Science.

To update your official CS course plan, discuss the changes with your CS program coordinator. 

If you will need to take additional semester on campus to satisfy degree requirements, be sure to meet with a financial aid counselor to see how this affects your aid package.

Top ↑

Course Overlap Policy

The University Overlap Policy can be found here: 

Some common intro level math and science courses are exempt.  These courses are listed in overlap policy. See your advisor if you have questions.

Please note that due to the overlap policy, double majoring in Computer Science and Data Science is not permitted.

Top ↑

Independent Studies

To enroll in an independent study, senior project, or independent research (CSC391 or CSC395), you must:

  1. Collaborate with a full-time CS faculty member who will supervise and guide your independent work as your independent study advisor.
  2. Fill out this form with your independent study advisor. You will need to discuss credit hours, course title, course description, and how you will be evaluated. Please be concise.
  3. Email completed form to your CS program coordinator for approval. If you have questions please email the program coordinator or you may  Click here to schedule an appointment.

Things to note:

Information for enrolling in Honors Research can be found here. 

Top ↑ 


  • Any CSC394 must have a significant academic component to it, above and beyond the work that one would normally do.
  • The academic component must be supervised by a full-time CSC faculty member. .
  • It is the student’s responsibility to find an appropriate supervisor, agree what the academic component of the work will be, and prepare the contract: Internship Form 
  • The supervisor is responsible for the student’s grade on the academic component of the internship.
  • If the student wants to use CSC394 as an upper-level elective course for the BS, this must be noted in the contract, and the academic component needs to be at least as intellectually rigorous (and relevant) as regular courses that might have been used instead.

Contact the Greene Center if interested in completing an internship for academic credit. 

Top ↑

2024 July 16